Position: 2020-17 Epidemiologist
Terms: Permanent – part-time (17.5 hours / week)
The Epidemiologist conducts epidemiologic investigations used to prevent and control communicable and chronic diseases, injuries, and other health conditions. S/he provides reports and expert advice to Northwestern Health Unit (NWHU) staff and partners used to understand community health status and trends or outbreaks of diseases or other adverse health events, and to plan, monitor and evaluate public health programs and services.
The Epidemiologist works as part of the Foundations team consistent with the Health Protection and Promotion Act, Ontario Public Health Standards and NWHU policies and procedures.
• Master’s Degree in Epidemiology – MSc in Epidemiology or MPH
with Epidemiology focus are acceptable
• Demonstrated skills in the theory and application of
epidemiological concepts and advanced statistical methods
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience using statistical
software related to epidemiology and statistics (e.g. STATA,
R, SAS etc.).
• A minimum of one year experience in community health;
experience in a public health setting is preferred.
• Working knowledge of the Ontario Public Health Standards,
Health Protection and Promotion Act, provincially mandated
programs assigned to Public Health Units by the Ministry of
Health and Long Term Care and related regulations.
• Experience with the design and analysis of surveys an asset.
• Experience in epidemiologic report writing an asset
• Familiarity with current public health issues and rural /
northwestern Ontario issues that impact the delivery of
public health programs
• Applied community-based research and communicable disease
Salary: $43.58 – $53.17 per hour
Access to transportation. Mileage allowance provided. Successful candidate requires a clear Criminal Reference Check and proof of required immunizations prior to start of work.
Resumes only accepted at:
Applicants must reference posting #2020-17
Applicants who do not receive an auto generated receipt response should contact Human Resources at 807-468-3147 x301253
Deadline for Applications: 7/24/2020